*Ratings are determined by our Home Media Review Team. Learn more about our scoring methodology below.
Elephant car insurance is known for offering affordable rates for one-year policy terms. While many drivers approve of Elephant’s coverage and costs, the provider isn’t the right choice for everyone.
Home Media’s review team looked at the top auto insurance companies to find out which ones do the best at combining quality coverage at an affordable price. Now let’s take a close look at Elephant car insurance, looking at its average costs, insurance policies, and customer reviews.
About Elephant Insurance
Elephant Insurance has been in business since 2009 and is headquartered just outside of Richmond in Henrico, Virginia. The company typically offers great rates to its policyholders and a wide range of discount opportunities.
In addition to Elephant car insurance, customers can bundle their policies with home insurance, renter’s insurance, motorcycle cover, life insurance and umbrella cover. Those who purchase multiple coverages from Elephant can benefit from a multi-policy discount on their insurance premiums.
Elephant Insurance has relatively limited availability, only drivers who live in these states are eligible for coverage:
In light of Elephant’s A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), however, drivers in these states may want to explore options with this insurance provider.
Elephant car insurance rates and discounts
Motorists often choose Elephant coverage in hopes of finding cheap car insurance. Generally, the company’s rates are lower than the competition, although it depends on the driver.
We contacted Elephant Insurance to get quotes for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record in suburban Chicago. The following rate estimates are for comprehensive auto insurance:
Although these rates are slightly lower than the average for auto insurance in Illinois, they are probably not the cheapest possible rates. The easiest way to find your most competitive car insurance rates is to compare car insurance quotes from multiple providers.
Factors That Affect Car Insurance Rates
Like almost all car insurance providers, Elephant uses personal data and information about your vehicle to determine your premium. Here are some of the factors that can affect the cost of Elephant car insurance:
- Location: Prices vary from state to state, but prices are also generally lower in rural areas than in cities within the same state.
- Driving history: Drivers with a clean driving record will see the lowest rates. Those with at-fault accidents, tickets, or moving violations will likely pay more for car insurance.
- Cover: Prices vary depending on the types and amounts of auto insurance you want. A minimum coverage policy generally costs much less than a policy with extended protection.
- Vehicle type: Insurance companies set different rates for each model of car, with luxury vehicles and sports cars usually costing the most to insure.
- Age: Young drivers are statistically more likely to be involved in accidents, so they almost always pay higher rates for car insurance.
- credit history: You will get lower car insurance premiums if your credit history shows that you pay your bills on time and that you are in good financial health.
Drivers who have avoided speeding tickets, DUI violations and at-fault accidents will find Elephant car insurance the most competitive rates. It’s also possible to find lower rates if you maintain a good credit rating or opt for lower auto insurance coverage.
Elephant Car Insurance Discounts
Young drivers and those with accidents or tickets on their record often struggle to find affordable auto insurance rates. You may be able to significantly reduce your costs with car insurance discounts offered by Elephant. Here are some of the most common:
Since Elephant car insurance is known for its affordable rates and wide variety of discounts, it’s worth checking with the company for additional savings. The easiest way to find out if you qualify for discounts is to get free car insurance quotes online.
Car Insurance Coverage for Elephants
Elephant car insurance comes with the standard types of car insurance offered by almost all providers. We will list the six most basic types of coverage below:
Additional coverage options
You will also find a few less common types of coverage through Elephant car insurance. Not all add-ons are necessary for every Elephant car insurance policy, so research these coverage choices carefully before adding them.
Elephant Car Insurance Reviews
Elephant Insurance receives an average of 4.2 stars out of 5.0 on Google from over 2,800 reviews, but it also holds an average of nearly 1.2 stars from reviews on the BBB site. On the other hand, the BBB gives Elephant an A+ rating and has given it accreditation since 2015.
Drivers generally praise Elephant car insurance for its extremely competitive rates, although some drivers speak of steep price increases over time. It’s a good idea to regularly compare car insurance rates to make it easier to determine the best rates for insuring your vehicle.
There are also verified reviews of the Elephant Insurance claims process. Common criticisms include the company’s refusal to cover certain auto repairs and some problems with inefficient and hard-to-reach insurance agents.
Elephant Insurance reviews seem to indicate that motorists have hit and miss experiences when working with the provider. While some think Elephant is worth it for the discount rates, many prefer the peace of mind that comes from a more established insurance provider.
Our team contacted Elephant Insurance for comment on their customer service and satisfaction scores, but received no response.
Conclusion on Elephant car insurance
We offer Elephant car insurance 7.6 stars out of 10.0 for its exceptional prices and wide choice of coverage. However, the company doesn’t receive the highest scores from Elephant customers, and it’s only available in eight states.
It’s a good idea to compare quotes from auto insurers before choosing one to cover your vehicle. This way, you will be able to find out if Elephant car insurance is best suited to your needs or if it is better to choose another provider.
Different types of insurance offered
You will be able to combine several insurance options with your car cover if you are looking to lower your rates with Elephant. The company can provide the following types of insurance:
- home insurance
- Tenant insurance
- Condominium insurance
- Off-road vehicle coverage
- Motorcycle insurance
- Life insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Although insurance customers pay more for additional types of coverage, these options are generally less expensive when bundled together. Whichever insurance provider drivers choose, it is recommended that most insurance products be purchased from a single company.
Other car insurance options
Elephant car insurance can be a good choice for drivers looking for cheap coverage, but it’s far from the only option. It’s best to consider several auto insurance options before deciding on one, as this could lead to more competitive rates.
Geico: Editor’s Choice
Those looking for cheap rates from an established car insurance provider should check out Geico’s coverage. The company received an above-average score in the 2021 JD Power Automotive Claims Satisfaction Study in the United StatesSM and has an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
keep reading: Geico Insurance Review
USAA: reduced rates for the military
USAA provides affordable rates and excellent service to active and retired military personnel and their families, earning our Low Rates for Military award. Insurance Provider Receives Highest Score Across All Regions of the United States in the 2021 JD Power U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM.
keep reading: USAA Insurance Review
Because consumers rely on us to provide unbiased and accurate information, we’ve created a comprehensive rating system to formulate our ranking of the best car insurance companies. We’ve collected data on dozens of car insurance providers to score companies on a wide range of ranking factors. The end result was an overall score for each provider, with insurers who scored the most points at the top of the list.
Here are the factors taken into account by our assessments:
- Cost (30% of total score): Auto insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services and discount opportunities were both taken into consideration.
- Coverage (30% of total score): Companies that offer a variety of insurance coverage choices are more likely to meet consumer needs.
- Reputation (15% of total score): Our research team considered market share, industry expert ratings, and years in business to assign this score.
- Availability (10% of total score): Auto insurance companies with greater state availability and fewer eligibility criteria scored higher in this category.
- Customer experience (15% of total score): This score is based on volume of complaints reported by the NAIC and customer satisfaction ratings reported by JD Power. We also considered the responsiveness, friendliness and helpfulness of each insurance company’s customer service team based on our own customer analysis.
*Data correct at time of publication.