Marlton man charged with causing fatal collision that killed restaurateur

Inage provided

On Nov. 9, 2022, Burlington County District Attorney LaChia L. Bradshaw and Mount Laurel Police Chief Stephen Riedener announced that homicide charges had been filed against a 45-year-old Marlton man. years, accused of driving under the influence of alcohol and causing death. of a Mount Laurel man in a high speed collision on Hainesport Road in Mount Laurel in late summer.

Desmond Newberry, of Erynwood Avenue, has been charged with manslaughter (first degree), vehicular homicide (first degree) and possession of a controlled dangerous substance (third degree).

The case will now be prepared for presentation to a grand jury for possible indictment.

The investigation began Sept. 3 when Mount Laurel Police Department officers were dispatched to Hainesport Road in the Cucina Carini Restaurant area for a report of a motor vehicle collision just after 8 p.m.

The investigation determined that Glenn Keen, the owner of the restaurant, was exiting the car park on Hainesport Road when he was struck by a westbound vehicle driven by the defendant. Keen, who was pulled from his vehicle by civilians before police arrived, was airlifted to Temple University Hospital, where he later died.

Newberry was extracted from his vehicle by the Mount Laurel Fire Department and transported to Cooper University Hospital in Camden.

A warrant has been obtained to allow investigators access to the event data recorder of Newberry’s BMW, which revealed it was traveling over 120 miles per hour just before hitting Keen’s Ford SUV .

Newberry was jailed at the Burlington County Jail in Mount Holly after turning himself in to law enforcement on November 7.

A detention hearing will be held tomorrow in Superior Court.

Newberry is being sued by Assistant District Attorney Joshua Dennis, supervisor of BCPO’s Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Unit.

The investigation was led by the Mount Laurel Police Department Traffic Unit, with assistance from the New Jersey State Police.

The lead investigator was MLPD Sergeant Nicholas DiGirolamo, who was joined on the case by Officer Jeffrey Herrmann.

Everyone is considered innocent until proven guilty by a court.