Parking fine: avoid behavior considered “an admission of responsibility”

A legal expert told one thing Brits shouldn’t do at all costs if they hope to challenge a parking fine. Daniel, The Black Belt Barrister, provides free legal advice on this YouTube channel where he has over 180,000 subscribers and nearly 28 million views, and on his Twitter account, @dshensmith. He uses his social media to educate the public on a number of legal issues, including driving laws and offences.

He discussed contesting a car fine and gave readers a vital piece of advice. Daniel said: “Don’t pay the fine if you plan to appeal.

“It’s almost always taken as an admission of responsibility.”

So what should drivers do if they want to dispute a parking fine?

Daniel told readers: ‘Firstly, there must be a legitimate reason why the fine (or parking charge notice) is unfair, rather than just ‘this n It’s not fair because I only had 15 more minutes “.”

It’s a waste of time to challenge a ticket that was issued fairly, no matter how boring.

READ MORE: Drivers urged to avoid ‘surprisingly common’ license violations – ‘police meltdown’

What is a Parking Fine or Penalty Notice (PCN)?

There are different types of parking tickets and fines that can be issued to you.


You can get PCNs for parking in the wrong place, breaking certain traffic rules, or not paying the London Congestion Zone, Low Emission Zone or Dartford Crossing (Dart Charge) charge on time.

They can be given to drivers by local councils, Dart Charge or Transport for London.

Failure to pay results in a higher fine and a court order.

Notice of Fixed Penalties (FPN)

FPNs are issued by the police, local council or the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) for parking.

Tickets can also be issued by private companies.

How to dispute a parking fine


You should challenge PCNs within 14 days, ideally, because even if rejected, you may only have to pay half the fine. You will need to challenge the NCP within 28 days to pass.

The ticket itself will tell you who issued it, and that’s who to challenge.

If your first informal challenge is rejected, you can raise a formal challenge within 28 days.

If it is rejected and you still believe the fine is unfair, you have 28 days to appeal to an independent tribunal. If the fine was imposed in London, appeal to the London courts.

If issued outside London, appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.


An FPN must be challenged in the magistrates’ court. Follow the instructions on the back of the ticket to arrange this.

Private company tickets

Contact the ticket issuer, whose details you will find on the ticket.

They will tell you how to dispute the ticket. If you are unable to challenge the company directly, there are two agencies you can use.

This is POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals), if your ticket issuer is a member of the British Parking Association (BPA) or IAS (Independent Appeals Service), if the ticket issuer is a member of the International Parking Community (IPC).