The benefits explained
- Support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year: Sentry offers an online portal where customers can manage their account, pay bills, file and track claims. This makes it easy for customers to get the help they need when they need it.
- Best high AM rating: Sentry is rated A+ (superior) by AM Best, a company that assesses the financial stability of insurers. This high rating is an indicator of Sentry’s financial strength.
- No free roadside assistance: Sentry does not offer free roadside assistance. If a customer requires roadside assistance such as towing, fuel delivery or flat tire assistance, this will incur additional charges.
- No online quote available: Sentry does not offer online quotes, which makes it difficult to compare prices with competitors.
- No online application available: Sentry does not offer the ability to enroll or purchase coverage online. Potential customers should speak to a representative for more information or to request a policy.
Sentry Insurance offers 401(k) plans and insurance coverage for business owners. Its products include 401(k) and life insurance, business automobile, business owners policy, commercial property, general liability and workers’ compensation. Business owners can choose from a variety of auto coverages, including commercial auto insurance, dealer auto coverage, motor carrier coverage, physical damage insurance, and non-trucking liability insurance.
Founded in 1904 by members of the Wisconsin Retail Hardware Association, Sentry provides commercial insurance coverage in all 50 US states. The company is headquartered in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
Although Sentry began providing coverage for the retail hardware industry, it has grown to provide options for construction companies, dealerships, manufacturing and processing, trucking, retailers and distributors.
Types of coverage
While Sentry primarily offers professional auto insurance, personal motorcycle and non-standard auto insurance is available through its partner brand, Dairyland.
Commercial auto insurance
Sentry provides commercial auto insurance for business owners whose employees drive as part of day-to-day business activities. This coverage protects vehicles rented or owned for business purposes. Coverage options include collision, comprehensive and liability coverage, but Sentry also works with businesses to determine what other coverage they might need.
Commercial Motor Liability
Sentry’s Commercial Automobile Liability Insurance protects the business and its employees if a driver is found responsible for injuring someone or damaging property. This type of coverage can also pay court and attorney fees.
Personal injury insurance
Sentry’s Bodily Injury Insurance helps cover the repair, replacement or actual cost of a vehicle. There are different types of bodily injury insurance, some covering collision damage and some covering non-collision damage. Bodily Injury Insurance includes these coverages:
- Collision: Coverage if your vehicle collides with another vehicle or rolls over
- Comprehensive: Covers damage not caused by collision with other vehicles
- Coverage of specified risks: covers risks that pose a threat, although the company does not disclose the specific risks covered
Depending on a business’s needs, Sentry also offers lease reimbursement, gap coverage, and towing coverage.
Civil liability insurance excluding trucking
Sentry’s non-trucking liability insurance covers vehicles when they are used for non-commercial purposes, and its optional empty trucking coverage protects drivers when not hauling a load. Its non-trucking liability coverage is even transferable between leases.
Motor Truck Cargo Insurance
Sentry motor truck cargo insurance can cover the following:
- Losses due to reefer container mechanical failure, debris removal and freight charges that cannot be collected after an incident
- Cargo theft
- Refrigerated trucks and goods that lose temperature due to sudden and accidental mechanical failure or failure of refrigeration or heating equipment
If a company’s loss ratio is low, it generally indicates that the company is financially healthy. Sentry’s loss ratio is 56.9%, which is low compared to similar companies.
Because they rank at the lower end of the loss ratio scale, one would expect Sentry to offer lower prices, which is not necessarily the case. Sentry’s average annual premium is $4,392, which is the second most expensive average premium out of 25 companies compared.
Sentry customers can file a complaint 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through the company’s online portal. Customers can also track and monitor their complaints online.
Sentry offers 24/7/356 customer support. To contact customer service, you can call 800-473-6879 or email using the form on the Sentry website. Current customers can log into their portal to manage their accounts, file claims or make payments.
In general, Sentry has received relatively positive reviews from its customers. It makes it easy to get a representative by phone or email, helping customers get the help they need. Although users appreciate Sentry’s widely accessible customer service, Sentry does have customer complaints. The company has received 84 complaints over the past three years.
Sentry has not been rated or rated by JD Power, making it difficult to determine how it compares to competitors.
However, it has an AM Best A+ (Superior) rating out of a possible A++. AM Best rates the financial strength and stability of insurance companies on a letter scale; high scores mean insurers are financially strong and can pay customer claims.
Index of complaints
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Customer Complaint Database is a valuable tool if you are researching insurance companies. The NAIC collects consumer complaints about insurers and compares that data across the industry. The average industry complaint score is 1.0 and Sentry has a score of 0.68, which means the company has fewer complaints than average.
Sentry has an online portal where customers can manage their accounts, make claims and pay their bills. Customers can also speak with Sentry representatives by phone or in person.
How Sentry Compares to Other Auto Insurance Companies
Sentry does not offer online quotes, which makes it difficult for potential customers to compare their prices to those of other car insurance companies. That said, if you’re looking for relatively inexpensive coverage, Sentry might not be your best option.
If you are looking for commercial auto insurance, Sentry may be a good choice. The company has been around for a long time and has a solid financial reputation. And with industry-specific coverage, Sentry can help you get exactly what your business needs.
Sentry Customer Service enables customers to get help whenever they need it, either by phone or through the online portal. And while the company doesn’t offer online quotes or applications, it’s easy to connect with an agent.
However, if customer satisfaction is important to you, Sentry probably isn’t your best bet. It has more customer complaints than average and could be an expensive option, depending on your location.
All of our auto insurance company reviews are based on extensive research and analysis of coverage, customer service, rates, years in business, accreditation, and more. of each company. To evaluate Sentry and other providers, we’ve developed a car insurance review methodology that compares car insurance coverage types, additional features, discounts, account management, and reported customer experiences for help us provide insights into things like customer service and the strength of each company. offerings.